Request for Internal Review & Appeals to Decisions
You have the right to appeal if:
- you are notified that you are not eligible for Ontario Works financial assistance, or
- you disagree with the amount of financial assistance you receive.
How to appeal
The appeal process has two steps:
If you disagree with a decision about your eligibility, the first step is to request an Internal Review. You need to ask for an Internal Review within 30 days from the day you receive a letter about a decision.
Your request for a review must be in writing. There are two ways you can do this:
- fill out a Request for Internal Review form, or
- write a letter.
If you write a letter, make sure you say that you are asking for an Internal Review. Include your:
- member ID number (this is the number that is on your benefit statement or the letter you received from Ontario Works), and
- date of birth (day, month, year).
You should also:
- try to explain why you disagree with the decision that was made
- include any additional information or documents that you think will help the review
If you need more than 30 days to ask for a review because of special circumstances, you will need to explain in your request why you need more time.
Then send your Internal Review request to your local Ontario Works office.
You can appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal if:
- you are not satisfied with the result of the Internal Review, or
- your request for an Internal Review was not completed within 30 days.
The Social Benefits Tribunal only hears appeals on certain cases. You have to file your appeal within 30 days of the completed Internal Review.
How to make an appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal
To make an appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal, you will need to:
- Complete an Appeal Form. You can get the form from:
- your local Ontario Works office, or
- the Social Benefits Tribunal.
- Send the completed Appeal Form to the Social Benefits Tribunal. You can mail, fax, or hand deliver the form to:
Social Benefits Tribunal1075 Bay Street, 7th FloorToronto ON M5S 2B1Fax: 416-326-5135
If you have questions, or need help filling out the form, you can contact the Social Benefits Tribunal:
- Toronto and area: 416-326-0978
- Toll-free: 1-800-753-3895
- TTY: 416-325-3408
- TTY (toll-free): 1-800-268-7095
- TTY (Ottawa): 613-566-2235
If you would like advice from a community legal clinic, you can contact Legal Aid Ontario:
- Toronto and area: 416-979-1446
- Toll-free: 1-800-668-8258
- TTY: 416-325-3408
- TTY (toll-free): 1-866-641-8867