County Tax Rates
The property tax is the largest and most important revenue source for municipalities. It is the only tax that municipalities have the authority to collect. Property taxes are calculated by multiplying the property assessment by the tax rate applied to the property. The County of Lanark and the lower-tier municipalities set tax rates.
The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for determining a value on all properties in Ontario. If you visit this website, you can check your property assessment (CVA) and get answers to frequently asked assessment questions.
The tax rate in the County of Lanark consists of three components. They are (1) local municipal (2) County of Lanark and (3) Education.
Each of these components is related to the budgetary needs of the three entities. The tax rate is expressed as a percentage of a property's assessed value. Each property class has its own tax rate. The tax rate multiplied by the assessed value, results in the amount of property taxes payable for the year. For example, if the residential tax rate is 0.01342493 and the assessed value is $200,000, the property taxes would be $2,684.98 (see table below).
|Residential Property Example|
|Tax Rate A||Assessment B||Property Taxes C = A X B|
|County of Lanark portion||.00414581||$200,000||$829.16|
|Education (Province) portion||.00241000||$200,000||$482.00|
|Local Municipal portion (AVG)||.00686912||$200,000||$1,373.82|
Provided below is a link to the County of Lanark 2017 Property Tax By-Laws.
- 2017-23 By-Law - Tax Rates Levied to Local Municipalities
- 2017-22 By-Law - Set Tax Ratios and Tax Rate Reductions
- 2016-10 By-Law - Tax Rates Levied to Local Municipalities
- 2016-09 By-Law - Set Tax Ratios and Tax Rate Reductions
- 2016-08 By-Law - Setting of Capping Provisions
- 2015 County Tax Rates (81 KB)
- 2014 County Tax Rates (334 KB)
- 2013 County Tax Rates (425 KB)
- 2012 County Tax Rates (266 KB)
- 2011 County Tax Rates (263 KB)
- 2010 County Tax Rates (245 KB, County Tax rates are on page 7)
- 2009 County Tax Rates (303 KB, County Tax rates are on page 12)
- 2008 County Tax Rates (69 KB)